MFL - French
At Beacon the language we teach our children in KS2 from Year 3 to Year 6 is French.
We teach French weekly using a mixture of interesting topics and themed days to motivate and enthuse the children in their learning. Alongside the French lessons we use Linguoscope.
French lessons will include speaking, listening, reading and writing in French. During themed French days the children will study the culture, history and geography of France.
Throughout the year we have 3 themed French days which involve the children from Reception to Year 6. The children are given the opportunity to taste French foods, explore French landmarks, learn some key French phrases and explore the country France by learning different facts. Preschool and Nursery will have french related activities out during continuous provision.
Incidental opportunities are also taken to reinforce the learning, such as taking the register and giving instructions in French.
Above all our aim is to foster a love of modern foreign languages and a confidence to pursue learning as children progress through school and beyond.
Throughout the year the children are taught the following skills:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
- Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words.
- Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help.
- Speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures.
- Develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases.
- Present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences.
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing.
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language.
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary.
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly.
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing.
Running alongside the lessons we have a year round After School Club. Every term each year group participates in activities such as guess who games, food tasting, scavenger hunts, traditional french games and active french lessons whilst developing cultural knowledge and the french language.
Mrs A. Cotterill / Miss A Donnellan
French & French Days Leader
Please use the link below to view the French Policy:
Special Educational Needs
Please see the document on how Beacon ensure all children, including those with SEND and additional needs provide a curriculum which is tailored to all children.
How we support children with SEN
If you want further information about the curriculum content your child is covering please call the school office to arrange an appointment to see the subject leader.