Welcome to Beacon Primary Governing Body
The Governing Body is comprised of representatives from our school, local authority, local community, councillors and parents.
As a critical friend, the Governing Body offers support, constructive advice, a sounding board for ideas, a second opinion and help and guidance where needed. Governors are responsible for establishing the aims and policies of the school, implementing the school budget and ensuring the curriculum is taught effectively.
We set targets for the school and ensure implementation when visiting school regularly to act as a link between parents, pupils and school.
Beacon Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children. We expect all Governors, staff and volunteers to share in this commitment and as such we insist all Governors have a satisfactory Enhanced DBS.
All Beacon Governors welcome feedback and suggestions from parents, carers and the local community. Any correspondence received will be promptly dealt with at the next scheduled Governing Body meting and the outcome will be reported back appropriately.
Governor Vision and Values Statement
As Governors we will work with staff and parents to help children to enjoy their learning and to achieve their best potential in all aspects of their school life. At Beacon our vision for our children is embedded in our school motto “Lighting the way to a brighter future”.
The Governing Body at Beacon works in partnership with our Headteacher, our staff and the Beacon community to provide the best possible education for our pupils. It has three key roles:
Defining the school values, vision and aims, to discuss, agree and continually evaluate strategic plans and policies. To have an input into the school development plans to include curriculum development which cover the schools immediate future and shows longer term progress the school will make over the next 3 years.
Acting as a Critical Friend
Supporting the Headteacher and staff as well as constructively challenging and building on their expectations to ensure the best possible outcomes for children are achieved.
Governors are able to answer for their decisions and performance to key people; parents, carers and staff. In order to achieve this they work closely with the Headteacher to ensure a cycle of continual improvement. Governors are individually linked to different school areas and undertake regular school visits and reviews relating to their specific responsibilities.
As Governors we work with staff and parents to help our children
- Enjoy their learning
- Achieve their potential
- Ensure our pupils enjoy and benefit from the highest quality of teaching and learning. Our teachers and support staff are pupil centred and passionate about their roles.
- Ensure that our school is financially sound and we are making the best use of its income in ways which have a positive impact on the quality of teaching and learning, achievement, assessment and the pupil’s experience of the school. This can be seen through the implementation of our Harry Potter, Narnia and seaside corridors to name but a few.
- Ensuring support for all groups of children including, boys, girls, vulnerable learners, EAL, pupil premium, SEND and/or medical needs children is of the highest standard so all children are supported to achieve their best.
- Evaluating the schools effectiveness and benchmarking performance locally and nationally.
- Ensuring the school remains up to date with current educational thinking and is fully compliant.
- Help to create and sustain a school environment in which all parents, carers, pupils, staff and visitors feel welcomed, valued and safe.
- Work in collaboration with other schools in our community to bring together pupils for wider education purposes.
- Value every individual pupil and take the opportunity to celebrate their success.
- Enable our pupils to develop moral values, confidence and resilience to make a difference at Beacon and beyond.
- Recruiting, developing and retaining inspirational staff of the highest calibre, which through their continuous drive for improvement and innovation create an enriching and supportive environment.